Austin's Score on the Creative Vitality Index
Comparing Austin's Creative Vitality of 1.34 from a baseline of 1.00 to other regions around the USA, the Austin region ranks 34 points above combined US cities regarding amount of creative industry jobs, industry earnings, grants and nonprofit revenues.
Austin's vitality score decreased from 2016 to 2020. However, there is still a high level of demand by the community for access to creative experiences compared to other US cities.
While the data as a whole is slowly decreasing, the factors contributing to the decrease come mostly from a drop in Performing Arts and Art Gallery revenues of over $330 million combined from there peaks in 2018 and 2017, respectively. No surprise, the biggest drop in revenues occurred in 2020 when the COVID-19 pandemic halted most brick and mortar retail sales and performance venue operations.
Note: To see the underlying data for this chart, please select the "View Source Data" link to the left.
Additional Measure Insights
Measure Details and Definition
1) Definition: This measure shows how the Austin area creative industry compares to other cities.
2) Calculation method: This is calculated by the number of points above or below 1.00, which is the baseline.
3) Data Collection Process: This data is collected annually from the Creative Vitality Suite, a 3rd party provider, who draws in multiple federal datasets and proprietary algorithm to determine metropolitan areas "score".
4) Measure Target Calculation: The United States as a country baselines Creative Vitality at 1.00. Austin aims to be higher, so far successfully.
5) Frequency Measure is Reported: Annually (Calendar Year)
Date page was last updated: September 2022