Cherrywood Neighborhood Bikeways
Project Background and Limits
Austin Transportation is evaluating Wilshire Boulevard, Cherrywood Road, and Schieffer Avenue as a potential neighborhood bikeway project. This bikeway would help connect the All Ages and Abilities Bicycle Network between IH-35, Airport Blvd, and E 38th ½ St. The proposed project design aligns with recommendations from the Austin Bicycle Plan and the Austin Strategic Mobility Plan.
June 2020: Updated Design
After reviewing community feedback, the project team has made the following updates to the proposed project design:
- Shared use path geometry updated to accommodate larger bicycles at the IH-35 undercrossing
- Signal timing optimized for bicycle movements at the IH-35 undercrossing
- Southbound to westbound slip lane from Clarkson Avenue entering into the Hancock Shopping Center parking lot closed to shorten crossing distances for people walking and biking and to reduce motor vehicle turning speeds
- Schieffer Avenue between Wilshire Boulevard to Cherrywood Road closed to through traffic to simplify “the triangle” intersection, improve safety, and provide space for a rain garden, sidewalk, and a bicycle pass-through
- Northeast curb of Cherrywood Road and Wilshire Boulevard extended to improve visibility for those making turns at the intersection
Fall 2019: Project Open House and Survey
The project team debuted the initial proposed design in September 2019. Key features of the design:
- New pavement markings ("sharrows") to alert people driving to expect people bicycling
- Improvements for crossing IH-35 near Wilshire Boulevard by foot and by bike to connections into the Hancock neighborhood New wayfinding signs to guide people bicycling to local and regional destinations
- New and modified speed reduction devices (e.g., speed humps or speed cushions) to achieve lower speeds (20-25 mph)
- A new sidewalk on the north side of Wilshire Boulevard from IH-35 northbound frontage road to Schieffer Avenue
- Tightened corners at select intersections for slower motor vehicle turns and shorter crossing distances
The project team hosted an open house in September 2019 at Maplewood Elementary School.
The initial comment period for this project was open from Tuesday, September 24, 2019 through Sunday, October 27, 2019.
Provide your email address to stay up to date on this project:
Proporcione su dirección de correo electrónico: