South Pleasant Valley Road, Todd Lane, and Burleson Road
The Austin Transportation Department (ATD) is evaluating South Pleasant Valley Road, Todd Lane, and Burleson Road from Oltorf Street to Onion Creek Park for changes to enhance the safety and mobility of everyone who uses these streets.
Over the past two years, the City of Austin’s Corridor Program Office has partnered with the community to develop short and long-term recommendations to enhance mobility, connectivity, and safety for all road users. A final South Pleasant Valley Road Corridor Mobility Plan will be released in 2020. Funding for many of the near-term improvements identified through this process is available from the 2016 Mobility Bond Bikeways and Safe Route to School programs, the District 2 Council Office, and the 2018 Bond Pedestrian Crossing program.
Project Open House
ATD held an open house on December 11, 2019 to gather feedback on the safety and mobility needs of everyone who uses these streets. A survey was available until January 26, 2020 for community members to provide feedback.
- South Pleasant Valley Road from St. Elmo Road to Onion Creek Park is currently two travel lanes in each direction with no bicycle lanes. The proposal reconfigures the road to one travel lane in each direction with protected bicycle lanes, maintaining the roadway median divided with left-turn pockets. Keep existing motor vehicle lanes to maintain capacity at major intersections and construct shared use paths to provide safe bicycle connectivity at these intersections
- Upgrading the Burleson Road buffered bicycle lanes to physically protected bicycle lanes
- Closing slip lane at South Pleasant Valley Road and Nuckols Crossing Road
- New pedestrian crossings with islands through the median, as well as shortened crossing distances
- New bicycle facilities under E Ben White Boulevard at Burleson Road
- Removing parking to extend protected bicycle lanes on select sections of Burleson Road
- Coordination on proposed changes with planned installation of roundabout at Teri Road/S Pleasant Valley Road
ATD is progressing near-term improvements to provide a protected bikeway and improved pedestrian crossings along the corridor. The proposed changes are expected to:
- Improve predictability and safety for everyone using the street by providing protected space for people bicycling
- Reduce crashes for all modes
- Encourage slower motor vehicle speeds and reduce high-risk speeding
- Shorten crossing distances for people walking
- Maintain comparable motor vehicle travel times