Percentage of residents who report being satisfied or very satisfied with the quality of cultural and learning services and programs
According to the annual community survey, the majority of respondents are satisfied or very satisfied with the quality of cultural and learning services and programs. This question was first added to the survey in 2018. Cultural and learning services and programs are largely provided by the Parks and Recreation Department and Austin Public Library. Program options are extensive and include opportunities such as book clubs, genealogy classes, learning sign language, multi-lingual story time, museums and cultural centers, nature and science centers, and much more. The community survey provides satisfaction levels among residents who may or may have not participated in these programs and services. As a result, it is important to also look at the data filtered by whether or not the respondent utilized the departments' services. Users can view the data with these filters in the PowerBI dashboard below.
Satisfaction between 2018 and 2019 dropped slightly. This decrease may be related to multiple branch libraries that were closed for renovations at the time the survey was administered. During lengthy closures, library services, programs, and materials are limited or not easily accessible to residents. To improve, the Library has created a dedicated Outreach Team to take library programs, services, and materials to the neighborhoods, planned renovations to minimize disruption of services, and expanded virtual programming.
To supplement the community survey, the Parks Department administers an onsite survey to track satisfaction levels with cultural arts and recreational programing. The Department uses both the community survey outcomes and the onsite survey data to make budget and programming decisions to improve services.
Note: To see the underlying data for the chart above, please select the "View Source Data" link.
Additional Measure Insights
Every year, the City of Austin administers a community survey to assess citywide satisfaction with the delivery of major city services and to determine community priorities as part of the City's ongoing planning process.
The dashboard below is live and dynamic. Use the filters below to review this measure and other survey questions by demographics and geography.
Measure Details and Definition
1) Definition: The percentage of residents are satisfied or very satisfied with the quality of cultural and learning services and programs
2) Calculation method: This measure was calculated by the following formula: The number of respondents who answered 4 or 5 divided by the total number of responses.
3) Data Collection Process: This is a question administered on the annual community survey managed by a third party vendor, ETC Institute, on behalf of the City of Austin
4) Measure Target Calculation: A target of 74% was calculated based on the most recent results plus recognition of the current environment impacting program availability and likely satisfaction levels. Maintaining current satisfaction levels is thought to be a manageable goal considering data availability since this is a relatively new measure plus the factors noted in the trending section above.
5) Frequency Measure is Reported: Annually (Calendar Year)
Date page was last updated: July 2020