Walnut Creek Trail System
The Austin Public Works Urban Trails Program is currently developing the Walnut Creek Trail System. This trail network is being designed for people walking and people on bikes. Once complete, it will be 19 miles long and connect the Govalle Neighborhood Park in East Austin to the Balcones District Park in North Austin, along with many other parks, neighborhoods and landmarks along Walnut Creek. Two sections of the Walnut Creek Trail System are being developed through the 2016 Mobility Bond.
Southern Walnut Creek Trail Crossing Closures During CTRMA Maintenance
Stay alert for closures of the Southern Walnut Creek Trail crossing at US 183! The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority (CTRMA) is currently conducting maintenance on the US 183 South bridge throughout this year. This maintenance may result in delays and closures of this crossing on weekdays during construction. CTRMA anticipates potential closures until June 2020 as work continues. While the trail crossing will be open on weekends, contact CTRMA for information about trail closures during weekdays.
- Call the 24/7 bilingual CTRMA 183 South project hotline at (512) 640-0060 or toll free at 1-855-245-4272
- Visit the CTRMA 183 South project website here to learn more about the project and for more ways to get updates and stay in the loop.
Trail Network Limits
Walnut Creek Trail System Overview
The Urban Trails Program identified the Walnut Creek Trail Network as a high priority project in the 2014 Urban Trails Plan. This trail network includes:
• Southern Walnut Creek Trail (Govalle Park to Johnny Morris Road/Daffen Lane)
• Northern Walnut Creek Trail:
- Section 1: Balcones District Park to Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park
- Section 2: Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park to IH-35
- Section 3: Connection between IH-35 and Southern Walnut Creek Trail
Completed Walnut Creek Trails
Southern Walnut Creek Trail
The Southern Walnut Creek Trail opened in 2014 and is Austin’s first urban trail. It extends from Govalle Park and to the Walnut Creek Sports Park at Johnny Morris Road and Daffan Lane.
Austin Parks and Recreation Department began working towards the Southern Walnut Creek Trail two decades ago. It connects to multiple neighborhoods and landmarks including Govalle Park, The YMCA at Hwy 183, Davis White Park, Walnut Creek Greenbelt, The Austin Tennis Center at the Walnut Creek Sports Park and the Austin to Manor Trail.
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 1: Balcones District Park to Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 1 opened in 2015 and was expanded west in 2019. This section runs for 3.5 miles, from Balcones District Park to Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park.
Walnut Creek Trail Network Projects
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2: Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park to IH-35
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2 is located between Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park to IH-35 and is currently under development. This section consists of a new 1.7-mile segment along the Walnut Creek Greenbelt. Once completed, Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2 will connect to Section 1.
- Planning Phase: Winter 2013 - Winter 2014
- Design Phase: Spring 2017 - Spring 2020
- Construction: Winter 2021 - Winter 2023
The project team has reached out to the community throughout the development of Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2. The team has shared updates at the following public meetings:
- Planning Meeting: The project team hosted a planning meeting for this project in early 2014.
- Public Meeting 1: April 11, 2017: The project team hosted a public meeting to provide information on the Section 2 Design Phase. View the meeting presentation from the April 2017 Section 2 public meeting.
- Public Meeting 2: October 8, 2019: During the second public meeting, the team shared updates as Section 2 neared the end of the Design Phase.
- Neighborhood Meeting: February 25, 2020: the Urban Trails Program shared updates at the Walnut Creek Neighborhood Association.
- $2.5M from the 2016 Mobility Bond
- $1.5M from a TxDOT Grant
- $1.5M from the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department
- $2.9M from the City of Austin Urban Trails Program
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3: IH-35 to Southern Walnut Creek Trail
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3 will connect Northern Walnut Creek Trail at IH-35 to Southern Walnut Creek Trail. This approximately 8-mile segment is currently under development.
Preliminary Engineering Report: The Urban Trails Program has developed a preliminary engineering report for Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3. This report shows the recommended route for this section of the trail. It also lists project considerations like environmental concerns, wildlife, nearby property ownership, and more. See the Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3 Preliminary Engineering Report here.
There are no design or construction funds allocated for this project, but having a plan ready allows the City to move forward quickly, if funding is identified.
Public Meetings: The team has hosted two public meetings.
- Public Meeting 1: August 14, 2018: The project team hosted the first public meeting to get community feedback for the Preliminary Engineering Report. View the meeting presentation from the first Section 3 public meeting.
- Public Meeting 2: September 17, 2019: The project team hosted a second public meeting to share project updates from the Preliminary Engineering Report process. See the presentation from the second Section 3 public meeting and boards from the second Section 3 public meeting.
- $550,000 from the 2016 Mobility Bond
Northern Walnut Creek Trail
Connection to Copperfield Elementary
As part of the 2016 Mobility Bond, the Urban Trails and Safe Routes to School Programs are currently designing a proposed 12-15 foot concrete trail that would connect to Copperfield Elementary from Thompkins Drive and Shropshire Lane.
This project includes repairing an existing creek crossing to help students and families walk and bike to Copperfield Elementary. Learn more about Safe Routes to School project recommendations for Copperfield Elementary here.
- Design Phase: Fall 2019 – Fall 2020
- Construction: Fall 2020 - Winter 2021
- $500,000 from the 2016 Mobility Bond
- $400,000 from the Urban Trails Program
- $100,000 from the Safe Routes to School Program
- $300,000 from quarter-cent funding
Share your feedback on our Walnut Creek Trail projects!
Email Carolynn.Calabrese@austintexas.gov to:
- Submit questions and comments about these projects
- Request a presentation for your group or organization
Get updates on our Walnut Creek Trail projects, or stay in the loop with the Urban Trails Program by filling out the form below. (You can also sign up for updates about other Urban Trails projects here.)