Walnut Creek Trail System
The Austin Public Works Urban Trails Program is currently developing the Walnut Creek Trail System for people walking and people on bikes. The northern and southern ends of the Walnut Creek Trail System are complete and open to the public. The Urban Trails Program is working to connect these sections, with project funding through the 2016 and 2020 Mobility Bonds.
- The Copperfield Connector Trail (from Thompkins Drive and Shropshire Lane) opened in May 2023! This trail is under a quarter mile, and provides a safer, shorter route to Copperfield Elementary School and connects two neighborhoods.
Walnut Creek Trail System Limits & Overview
The Urban Trails Program identified the Walnut Creek Trail Network as a high priority project in the 2014 Urban Trails Plan. Once complete, it will be ~19 miles long and connect the Govalle Neighborhood Park in East Austin to the Balcones District Park in North Austin, along with many other parks, neighborhoods and landmarks. This trail network includes:
- Southern Walnut Creek Trail: Govalle Park to Johnny Morris Road/Daffen Lane
- Northern Walnut Creek Trail: Balcones District Park to Oakbrook Drive.
- Copperfield Connector Trail: Thompkins Drive to Shropshire Lane
IN-PROGRESS & PROPOSED SECTIONS
- Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2B: Walnut Bluffs Trailhead to IH-35 (in progress)
- Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3: IH-35 to Southern Walnut Creek Trail (in progress). See three phases below.
- Southern Walnut Creek Trail: La Loma Trail Connector (proposed)
Completed Walnut Creek Trails
The following sections of Walnut Creek Trail are open to the public.
Southern Walnut Creek Trail
The Southern Walnut Creek Trail opened in 2014 and is Austin’s first urban trail. The 8.7-mile trail extends from Govalle Park to the Walnut Creek Sports Park at Johnny Morris Road and Daffan Lane.
The Austin Parks and Recreation Department began working towards the Southern Walnut Creek Trail two decades ago. It connects to multiple neighborhoods and landmarks including Govalle Park, the YMCA at Hwy 183, Davis White Park, Walnut Creek Greenbelt, the Austin Tennis Center, and the Austin to Manor Trail.
Northern Walnut Creek Trail:
Balcones District Park to Oakbrook Drive
Northern Walnut Creek Trail opened in 2015 and was expanded west in 2019 and east in 2023. This project was completed in partnership between the Urban Trails Program and the Austin Parks and Recreation Department.
This section extends 4.4 miles, from Balcones District Park to Oakbrook Drive. The trail can also be accessed from Scribe Drive and Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park.
Walnut Creek Trail Projects Underway
Below are planned projects that are not completed or open to the public at this time. When constructed, the sections described below will connect the existing Northern and Southern Walnut Creek Trails.
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2B:
Oakbrook Drive to IH-35
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2B is located between Oakbrook Drive and IH-35. The project team is developing a preliminary engineering report (PER) for this section. The PER will include an updated route recommendation and list project considerations such as environmental concerns, nearby property ownership, and more.
Section 2B will extend the existing Northern Walnut Creek Trail to IH-35.
- Planning Phase: Fall 2021 - Spring 2023
- Design: Summer 2023 - Summer 2024
- Construction: Timeline to be determined after additional review.
Project Funding (to date)
- $2M from the 2016 Mobility Bond
The project team has hosted several public meetings throughout the development of Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2. See updates from recent public meetings below:
Neighborhood Meeting: Feb. 25, 2020: Urban Trails shared updates at the Walnut Creek Neighborhood Association.
Public Meeting: October 8, 2019: The team shared updates as Section 2 neared the end of the Design Phase.
Please contact us for questions about earlier project updates and outreach.
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3:
IH-35 to Southern Walnut Creek Trail
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3 will connect Northern Walnut Creek Trail at IH-35 to Southern Walnut Creek Trail. This approximately 8-mile segment will be developed in three phases.
Preliminary Engineering Report
The Urban Trails Program has developed a preliminary engineering report (PER) for Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3. This report shows the recommended route for this section of the trail. It also lists project considerations like environmental concerns, wildlife, nearby property ownership, and more. See the Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3 PER here.
Section 3 Project Phases
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3A
This phase includes two different segments that will be constructed in a similar time frame.
- To the north, the Copperfield Connector Trail will extend to IH-35.
- To the south, the Southern Walnut Creek Trail will extend to the shared use path on US 290.
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3B
This phase will begin at Samsung Blvd. and extend to the Copperfield Connector.
A feasibility assessment assessing potential route options is currently underway and expected to be complete in early 2023.
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3C
This phase will begin at US 290 and connect to Old Sprinkle Cut Off Rd.
Section 3A Timeline
- Planning: Completed October 2019
- Design: Summer 2022 – Fall 2023
- Construction: Summer 2024 – Spring 2026
Section 3B Timeline
- Planning: Completed October 2019 and will be updated by Summer 2023.
- Design and Construction: To be determined after additional review.
Section 3C Timeline
- Planning: Completed October 2019 and will be updated by Spring 2023.
- Design: Summer 2023 - Summer 2024
- Construction: Dependent on ongoing coordination.
Public Meetings: The team has hosted two public meetings.
- Public Meeting 1: August 14, 2018: The project team hosted the first public meeting to get community feedback for the Preliminary Engineering Report. View the meeting presentation from the first Section 3 public meeting.
- Public Meeting 2: September 17, 2019: The project team hosted a second public meeting to share project updates from the Preliminary Engineering Report process. See the presentation from the second Section 3 public meeting and boards from the second Section 3 public meeting.
Proposed Connector Trail Project
Below is a proposed connector trail project that is not completed or open to the public.
Southern Walnut Creek Trail Connector: La Loma Trail
Through the 2016 Mobility Bond, the Urban Trails Program reviewed options for La Loma Trail: a potential trail connection linking Southern Walnut Creek Trail with adjacent neighborhoods. Located between Airport Blvd and US 183, the project would extend through the East Boggy Creek Greenbelt area. This proposed 12-foot shared use path would be designed for people walking and on bikes, and to improve walking access for Eastside Memorial High School students.
The Urban Trails Program released a Preliminary Engineering Report for La Loma Trail in fall 2019. Read the La Loma Trail Preliminary Engineering Report here.
To collect public input, the Urban Trails Program hosted public meetings in October 2017 and September 2019. Learn more:
Share your feedback on our Walnut Creek Trail projects!
Email Cheyenne Dolin to:
- Submit questions and comments about these projects
- Request a presentation for your group or organization
Get updates on our Walnut Creek Trail projects, or stay in the loop with the Urban Trails Program by filling out the form below. (You can also sign up for updates about other Urban Trails projects here.)