Walnut Creek Trail System
The Austin Public Works Urban Trails Program is currently developing the Walnut Creek Trail System for people walking and people on bikes. Two sections of the Walnut Creek Trail System are completed and open to the public, and another two sections are currently being developed through the 2016 Mobility Bond.
Walnut Creek Trail System Limits & Overview
The Urban Trails Program identified the Walnut Creek Trail Network as a high priority project in the 2014 Urban Trails Plan. Once complete, it will be 19 miles long and connect the Govalle Neighborhood Park in East Austin to the Balcones District Park in North Austin, along with many other parks, neighborhoods and landmarks. This trail network includes:
- Southern Walnut Creek Trail: Govalle Park to Johnny Morris Road/Daffen Lane
- Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 1: Balcones District Park to Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park
IN-PROGRESS & PROPOSED SECTIONS
- Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2: Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park to IH-35 (in progress)
- Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3: Connection between IH-35 and Southern Walnut Creek Trail (proposed)
- Northern Walnut Creek Trail Connector at Copperfield Elementary (in progress)
- Southern Walnut Creek Trail Connector: La Loma Trail (proposed)
Walnut Creek Trail News & Updates
Southern Walnut Creek Trail Crossing Closures During CTRMA Maintenance
Stay alert for closures of the Southern Walnut Creek Trail crossing at US 183! The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority (CTRMA) is conducting maintenance on the US 183 South bridge throughout this year. Maintenance may result in delays and closures of this crossing on weekdays during construction. See the CTRMA 183 South project website for more information or questions, and see CTRMA's recommended trail detour during crossing closures.
Completed Walnut Creek Trails
The following sections of Walnut Creek Trail are open to the public.
Southern Walnut Creek Trail
The Southern Walnut Creek Trail opened in 2014 and is Austin’s first urban trail. It is an 8.7 mile trail and extends from Govalle Park and to the Walnut Creek Sports Park at Johnny Morris Road and Daffan Lane.
Austin Parks and Recreation Department began working towards the Southern Walnut Creek Trail two decades ago. It connects to multiple neighborhoods and landmarks including Govalle Park, The YMCA at Hwy 183, Davis White Park, Walnut Creek Greenbelt, The Austin Tennis Center at the Walnut Creek Sports Park and the Austin to Manor Trail.
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 1: Balcones District Park to Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 1 opened in 2015 and was expanded west in 2019. This project was completed in partnership between the Urban Trails Program and the Austin Parks and Recreation Department.
This section runs for 3.5 miles, from Balcones District Park to Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park. The trail can also be accessed from Scribe Drive.
Walnut Creek Trail Network Projects
Below are planned and proposed projects along the Walnut Creek Trail network. These projects are not completed or open to the public at this time.
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2: Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park to IH-35
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2 is located between Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park to IH-35 and is currently under development. This section consists of a new 1.7-mile segment along the Walnut Creek Greenbelt. Once completed, this project will connect to Section 1.
- Planning Phase: Winter 2013 - Winter 2014
- Design Phase: Spring 2017 - Spring 2020
- Construction: Winter 2021 - Winter 2023
The project team has reached out to the community throughout the development of Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 2. The team has shared updates at the following public meetings:
- Planning Meeting: The project team hosted a planning meeting for this project in early 2014.
- Public Meeting 1: April 11, 2017: The project team hosted a public meeting about the Section 2 Design Phase. View the meeting presentation from the April 2017 Section 2 public meeting.
- Public Meeting 2: October 8, 2019: The team shared updates as Section 2 neared the end of the Design Phase. View posters with updates from the October 2019 Section 2 public meeting here or view roll plot maps from the October 2019 Section 2 public meeting here.
- Neighborhood Meeting: February 25, 2020: the Urban Trails Program shared updates at the Walnut Creek Neighborhood Association. View roll plot maps from the February 25 Section 2 neighborhood meeting here or view the February 25 meeting presentation here.
- $6.9M from the 2016 Mobility Bond
- $1.5M from the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3: IH-35 to Southern Walnut Creek Trail
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3 will connect Northern Walnut Creek Trail at IH-35 to Southern Walnut Creek Trail. This approximately 8-mile segment is currently under development.
Preliminary Engineering Report: The Urban Trails Program has developed a preliminary engineering report (PER) for Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3. This report shows the recommended route for this section of the trail. It also lists project considerations like environmental concerns, wildlife, nearby property ownership, and more. See the Northern Walnut Creek Trail Section 3 PER here.
There are no design or construction funds allocated for this project, but having a plan ready allows the City to move forward quickly, if funding is identified.
Public Meetings: The team has hosted two public meetings.
- Public Meeting 1: August 14, 2018: The project team hosted the first public meeting to get community feedback for the Preliminary Engineering Report. View the meeting presentation from the first Section 3 public meeting.
- Public Meeting 2: September 17, 2019: The project team hosted a second public meeting to share project updates from the Preliminary Engineering Report process. See the presentation from the second Section 3 public meeting and boards from the second Section 3 public meeting.
- $550,000 from the 2016 Mobility Bond
Northern Walnut Creek Trail Connector: Copperfield Elementary
As part of the 2016 Mobility Bond, the Urban Trails and Safe Routes to School Programs are currently designing a proposed 12-15 foot concrete trail that would connect to Copperfield Elementary from Thompkins Drive and Shropshire Lane.
This project includes repairing an existing creek crossing to help students and families walk and bike to Copperfield Elementary. Learn more about Safe Routes to School project recommendations for Copperfield Elementary here.
- Design Phase: Fall 2019 – Fall 2020
- Construction: Fall 2020 – Winter 2021
Southern Walnut Creek Trail Connector: La Loma Trail
Through the 2016 Mobility Bond, the Urban Trails Program reviewed options for La Loma Trail: a potential trail connection linking Southern Walnut Creek Trail with adjacent neighborhoods. Located between Airport Blvd and US 183, the project would extend through the East Boggy Creek Greenbelt area. This proposed 12-foot shared use path would be designed for people walking and on bikes, and to improve walking access for Eastside Memorial High School students.
The Urban Trails Program released a Preliminary Engineering Report for La Loma Trail in fall 2019. Read the La Loma Trail Preliminary Engineering Report here.
To collect public input, the Urban Trails Program hosted public meetings in October 2017 and September 2019. Learn more:
Share your feedback on our Walnut Creek Trail projects!
Email Carolynn.Calabrese@austintexas.gov to:
- Submit questions and comments about these projects
- Request a presentation for your group or organization
Get updates on our Walnut Creek Trail projects, or stay in the loop with the Urban Trails Program by filling out the form below. (You can also sign up for updates about other Urban Trails projects here.)