The Austin Transportation Department (ATD) is evaluating Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to South Congress Avenue for changes to enhance the safety and mobility of everyone who uses these streets. Stassney Lane provides access to the ACC South Austin Campus, Crockett High School, Garrison Park, many businesses, and neighborhoods of South Austin.
Funding for these changes has been identified from the 2016 Mobility Bond Bikeways and Safe Routes to School programs, and Capital Metro.
Project Survey and FAQ
ATD welcomes your ideas! Feedback from the people who use the street often results in project outcomes that better reflect community needs.
The comment period for this project closed on Sunday, January 19, 2020.
Project Background and Goals
Following an initial evaluation of the western segment of Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Menchaca Road in 2016, ATD has since expanded the scope of this project to address multimodal improvements along Stassney Lane east to Congress Avenue. The proposed changes were identified from recommendations in the Austin Bicycle Plan, Safe Routes to School Infrastructure Reports, and the Austin Strategic Mobility Plan. The proposed changes are expected to:
- Improve predictability and safety for everyone using the street by providing protected space for people bicycling
- Reduce crashes for all modes
- Encourage slower motor vehicle speeds and reduce high-risk speeding
- Improve access to transit, including providing more options for connecting to high-frequency bus routes with a short bicycle ride rather than a longer walk or multiple bus transfers
Proposed changes include:
- Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Menchaca Road is currently two travel lanes in each direction with no bicycle lanes; the proposal reconfigures the road to one travel lane in each direction with protected bicycle lanes, maintaining the roadway median divided with left turn pockets
- Upgrade existing buffered bicycle lanes with physical protection on Stassney Lane from Menchaca Road to S Congress Avenue
- Modify median at Emerald Forest Drive on the east leg to provide space for crosswalk
- Signal improvements at West Gate Boulevard/Stassney Lane and Menchaca Road/Stassney Lane
- Consolidate bus stops and add new bicycle and scooter parking near bus stops
Austin Transportation wants to hear from people who live, work, and travel on Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Congress Avenue.
For questions about the project, email Carly Haithcock or call 512-974-7783.
For media inquiries, email Sam Haynes or call 512-974-7724.
Provide your email to stay up-to-date on this project.