Performance Measure Definition: Stroke Alert CPSS Assessment
Description: This is the percentage of Stroke Alert patients for whom ATCEMS personnel document a Cincinnati Prehospital Stroke Scale (CPSS) assessment.
Desired Outcome: All patients identified as meeting Stroke Alert criteria receive a documented CPSS assessment before arrival at the hospital.
Relevance: The CPSS is an important component of the patient assessment leading to determination that a patient meets Stroke Alert criteria.
Measure Domain: Clinical Care
Type of Measure: Process
Formula Description: Count of Stroke Alert patients with CPSS score recorded in the Scores section of the ATCEMS ePCR system, divided by the count of all Stroke Alert patients [based on ATCEMSS criteria].
Unit of Analysis: Patient contacts
- Numerator: Patients identified as Stroke Alerts who have a documented CPSS score.
- Denominator: Patients identified as Stroke Alerts.
Measure Frequency: Fiscal quarter
Minimum Population/Sample: None
Performance Standard: At least 95% of all Stroke Alert patients will have a CPSS assessment recorded in the Scores section of the ATCEMS ePCR system each fiscal quarter.
Acceptable Quality Level: Performance may not fall below 87% for more than two consecutive quarters or any three quarters in a year.
Interval Description: Not applicable
Reporting Value: Percent of patient contacts that meet performance criteria
Aggregation: Temporal aggregations (month, hour of day, etc.) are based on the date/time of earliest recorded call pickup.
Limitations: Patients for whom medics record findings in locations that are not amenable to standardized reporting tools (e.g. recording findings in narrative or comment fields instead of vital signs fields) will present as a false negative.
Related Measures: None
Notes: This performance indicator is a component of the Stroke Alert Bundle.
ATCEMS Open Performance Dashboard
- Dashboard Performance Goal: Stroke Patients Receiving Full Bundle (related measure)
- Orientation: External
- Format: Line chart for current and previous fiscal year.
- Update Frequency: Monthly
- Data Source: Open Data table [EMS – Quarterly Clinical Measures - Stroke Alert]
City of Austin Open Data Portal
- Medium: Data table
- Table Name: EMS - Quarterly Clinical Measures - Stroke Alert
- Columns: Count – Stroke Alerts; Count – CPSS Score Documented; Percent – CPSS Score Documented
- Aggregation Level: Fiscal Quarter
- Update Frequency: Quarterly
Office of the Medical Director, Austin/Travis County EMS System (2016). “Clinical Guideline M-18: Suspected Stroke, Adult.” Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Service System Clinical Operating Guidelines version 021716.
Office of the Medical Director, Austin/Travis County EMS System (2016). “Clinical Standard CS-34: Stroke Alert Criteria.” Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Service System Clinical Operating Guidelines version 021716.
Development Status: Pilot measure
Definition Version: Version A
Revision Date: 2017-01-30
Revised By: David Andersen