Performance Measure Definition: STEMI Alert Transport Destination
Description: This indicator measures the percentage of patients who meet STEMI Alert criteria and accept care by EMS that are taken to an appropriate STEMI specialty care facility.
Desired Outcome: All patients who need and accept medical care related to a STEMI Alert are transported to an appropriate STEMI specialty care facility.
Relevance: Patients who are experiencing a STEMI need to be taken to a designated STEMI specialty care facility that will be able to rapidly diagnose the patient’s condition and provide appropriate definitive care.
Measure Domain: Clinical Care
Type of Measure: Process
Formula Description: Count of patients meeting STEMI Alert criteria who are transported to an approved receiving facility or have a documented reason for exception, divided by the count of all patients meeting STEMI Alert criteria.
Unit of Analysis: Patient contacts
- Numerator: Patients who meet STEMI Alert criteria AND either are transported to an approved receiving facility, or personnel have documented an appropriate reason for exception to transport to an approved receiving facility.
- Denominator: Count of patients meeting STEMI Alert criteria who are transported to a receiving facility.
Measure Frequency: Quarterly
Minimum Population/Sample: None
Performance Standard: At least 95% of patients identified as meeting STEMI Alert criteria will be transported to an appropriate specialty care facility or have documented reason for exception.
Acceptable Quality Level: Performance may not fall more than 3% for more than two consecutive quarters or any three quarters in a year.
Interval Description: Not applicable
Reporting Value: Percent of patient contacts that meet performance criteria
- Temporal aggregations (month, hour of day, etc.) are based on the date/time of earliest recorded call pickup.
- Geographic aggregation is based on incident location
Limitations: This indicator is limited to those patients contacted by ATCEMS outside a clinical setting.
Related Measures: None
Notes: This measure is to be a component of the STEMI Alert Bundle performance indicator (pending).
ATCEMS Open Performance Dashboard
- Dashboard Performance Goal: Aspirin Given for Heart Attack (related measure)
- Orientation: External
- Format: Line chart for current and previous fiscal year.
- Update Frequency: Monthly
- Data Source: Open Data table [EMS – Quarterly Clinical Measures - STEMI Alert]
City of Austin Open Data Portal
- Medium: Data table
- Table Name: EMS - Quarterly Clinical Measures - STEMI Alert
- Columns: Count – STEMI Alerts; Count – STEMI Center Transports; Percent – STEMI Center Transports
- Aggregation Level: Fiscal Quarter
- Update Frequency: Quarterly
Travis County Performance Dashboard
- Medium: Web site chart: http://www.austintexas.gov/page/stemi-alert-transport
- Orientation: External
- Format: Line chart of monthly values, beginning FY2014-Q1.
- Data Source: Open Data table [EMS - Quarterly Clinical Measures - Trauma Alert]
Interlocal Agreement Between the City of Austin and Travis County for Emergency Medical Services (Fiscal Year 2014)
Office of the Medical Director, Austin/Travis County EMS System (2016). “Clinical Operating Guideline C-01: Chest Pain, Suspected Acute Coronary Syndrome.” Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Service System Clinical Operating Guidelines version 021716.
Office of the Medical Director, Austin/Travis County EMS System (2016). “Clinical Standard CS-33: STEMI Alert Criteria.” Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Service System Clinical Operating Guidelines version 021716.
Development Status: Actively reporting
Definition Version: Version D
Revision Date: 2017-02-01
Revised By: David Andersen