North Lamar Boulevard Corridor
Transportation and mobility improvements are coming to North Lamar Boulevard between US 183 and Howard Lane as part of the Corridor Construction Program, funded in part by the 2016 Mobility Bond.
The preliminary engineering phase of work began in April 2018 and included the collection of new information from the community, as well as additional surveys and technical analyses to refine the conceptual improvements recommended in Corridor Mobility Plans.
On April 25, 2019, City Council authorized staff to complete additional design and engineering to prepare the projects for construction. Activities will include:
- Developing corridor construction plans and preparing for construction by:
- Obtaining permits
traffic management plans
construction packaging, phasing and sequencing
- Obtaining permits
environmental investigations and documentation
- Continuing to
explore leveraging/partnership opportunities
- Conducting ongoing
community engagement with neighborhoods, businesses and property owners to
understand their priorities and concerns.
The Corridor Program Office anticipates that the bulk of construction will occur between 2021-24 but is actively pursuing opportunities to begin work on some projects as soon as possible.
What is proposed for construction
In Spring 2018, the Austin City Council approved a Corridor Construction Program that includes mobility, safety, and connectivity improvements on North Lamar Boulevard to accommodate multiple modes of transportation, including driving, walking, biking, and taking transit.
These projects would:
- reduce vehicular delay and crashes
- improve the effectiveness of transit
- create continuous ADA-compliant sidewalks along the entire length of the corridor
- create continuous bicycle facilities along the entire length of the corridor.
More information about improvements for North Lamar Boulevard can be accessed by clicking on the following links:
Get more information about the Corridor Construction Program at AustinTexas.gov/CorridorMobility.
Corridor improvements are informed by the community’s needs and input. Community engagement played a critical role in developing the Corridor Construction Program and the North Lamar/Burnet Corridor Mobility Plan, and additional public engagement was conducted during the preliminary engineering phase of work.
Public feedback remains at the heart of our efforts to make this corridor safer and easier to travel. You can submit comments and/or questions in-person at the Corridor Program Office, 5202 East Ben White Boulevard, or by sending an email to NorthLamar@austintexas.gov or by calling 512-974-2615.
North Lamar/Burnet Corridor Mobility Plan
Corridor Mobility Plans were used as the basis for development of the Corridor Construction Program. The City of Austin finalized a Corridor Mobility Plan for North Lamar Boulevard/Burnet Road in December 2013.
This plan recommends short and long-term improvements for safety, mobility, and quality of life along North Lamar Boulevard between US 183 and Howard Lane.
Clink on the links below to read the plan:
- North Lamar - Burnet Corridor (FULL Report) - (PDF, 7.5 MB)
- Executive Summary - (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Appendix A - Recommended Improvements (Cross Sections) - (PDF, 18.8 MB)
- Appendix B - Cost Estimates (PDF, 253 KB)
- Appendix C - Public Involvement Plan (PDF, 284 KB)
- Appendix D - Drainage Improvements (PDF, 219 KB)
- Appendix E - Traffic Counts (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Appendix F - Traffic Analysis (PDF, 327 KB)