What is proposed for construction
In Spring 2018, the Austin City Council approved a Corridor Construction Program that includes mobility, safety, and connectivity improvements on East Riverside Drive to accommodate multiple modes of transportation, including driving, walking, biking, and taking transit.
These projects are expected to:
- reduce vehicular delay and crashes
- improve the effectiveness of transit
- create continuous ADA-compliant sidewalks along the entire length of the corridor
- create continuous bicycle facilities along the entire length of the corridor.
More information about improvements for East Riverside Drive can be accessed by clicking on the following links:
Get more information about the Corridor Construction Program at AustinTexas.gov/CorridorMobility.
East Riverside Drive Corridor Mobility Plan
Corridor Mobility Plans were used as the basis for development of the Corridor Construction Program. The City of Austin finalized a Corridor Mobility Plan for East Riverside Drive in December 2013.
This plan recommends short and long-term improvements for mobility and safety along East Riverside Drive between I-35 and SH 71 to meet anticipated future mobility needs in the area.
Clink on the link below to read the plan:
East Riverside Drive Corridor Report - (PDF, 16.2 MB)
The following engagement was conducted over the course of the Corridor Mobility Plan development process:
- Public meeting to introduce the planning process on October 27, 2011 (100 participants)
- Second public meeting to review improvement ideas on March 20, 2012
- Business open house meeting also held on March 20, 2012 to receive input from business owners and managers on the corridor
- Three community focus group meetings to gather input on the specific projects/concepts under consideration
- Other stakeholder meetings with transportation and public agencies, major landowners, transportation advocates and interest groups
Click here to learn about outreach conducted since the plan was completed, during development of the Corridor Construction Program.