Median House Value
This measure tracks the median house value subject to the City of Austin property tax calculation over the course of the reporting period. It excludes homesteads receiving senior or disabled property tax exemption. General homestead exemption is applied. The underlying raw data comes from the Travis County Appraisal District (TCAD). Appraised value is not representative of market value. This measure is a good indicator for understanding the affordability trend in the City.
FY 2023 $362,982
The median house value in the City of Austin has increased from $199K to $363K over the past 10 years.
Note: To see the underlying data for this chart, please select the "View Source Data" link to the left.
Additional Measure Insights
Annual data on assessed property value can be found on the Travis County Appraisal District's (TCAD) website. For the purpose of this measure, we exclude homesteads receiving senior or disabled property tax exemption before applying the general City of Austin homestead exemption.
Measure Details and Definition
1) Definition: This measure tracks the median house value subject to the City of Austin property tax calculation. Homesteads that receive senior or disabled property tax exemption are excluded. The general City of Austin homestead exemption is applied.
2) Calculation method: We calculated this measure using the formula: Median Assessed Value times (1 minus City of Austin Homestead Exemption Percentage).
3) Data Collection Process: This is a calculation performed and managed by a staff member at the City of Austin Financial Services Department based on data received from TCAD.
4) Measure Target Calculation: N/A
5) Frequency Measure is Reported: Annually (Fiscal Year)
Date page was last updated: September 2022