District 8 Infrastructure Report
In order to learn more about needed projects, Safe Routes to School created an Infrastructure Report for each City Council district. The reports list and rank projects to help students walk and bike to elementary and middle schools within that district.
See the final Safe Routes to School Infrastructure Report for Austin City Council District 8 here. This report includes project recommendations and maps throughout this district.
District 8 Project Recommendations and Updates
As of December 31, 2020, Safe Routes to School has completed 11 projects in District 8. Safe Routes will reach out to neighbors and school communities as projects move forward.
See the table below for project recommendations at District 8 schools.
About Project Recommendations
From November 2017 through July 2019, Safe Routes connected with parents, neighbors, and schools to learn about needed projects in this district.
Our team gathered feedback through:
- Walk audits of each school, where the team got a firsthand look at the challenges students face while traveling to and from school. These were conducted throughout the week of March 19, 2018.*
- A public meeting on Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
- Comments provided in our interactive online map from November 2017 through mid-April 2019.
- An online survey about the draft District 8 Infrastructure Report from July 8-28, 2019.
* Due to additional feedback, Safe Routes conducted walk audits at Forest Trail Elementary School and Hill Country Middle School on June 4, 2019. These walk audits were completed because while these schools are outside of Austin City Limits, a significant portion of their attendance zones are within the City.
Project Selection Process
Safe Routes used community feedback to create a list of recommended projects for District 8. Then, the team developed a “matrix” tool to rank projects by benefit and need, connectivity, and cost.
Safe Routes plans to continue updating these reports every five years, depending on future funding.
Get Updates from Safe Routes to School!
Stay in the loop with the Safe Routes to School Program, or get updates on Safe Routes improvements in your area by filling out the form below. (You can also sign up for updates about projects in other districts here.)