What is proposed for construction
In Spring 2018, the Austin City Council approved a Corridor Construction Program that includes mobility, safety, and connectivity improvements on Burnet Road to accommodate multiple modes of transportation, including driving, walking, biking, and taking transit.
These projects are expected to:
- reduce vehicular delay and crashes
- improve the effectiveness of transit
- create continuous ADA-compliant sidewalks along the entire length of the corridor
- create continuous bicycle facilities along the entire length of the corridor.
More information about improvements for Burnet Road can be accessed by clicking on the following links:
Get more information about the Corridor Construction Program at AustinTexas.gov/CorridorMobility.
North Lamar/Burnet Corridor Mobility Plan
Corridor Mobility Plans were used as the basis for development of the Corridor Construction Program. The City of Austin finalized a Corridor Mobility Plan for North Lamar Boulevard/Burnet Road in December 2013.
This plan recommends short-, medium- and long-term improvements for safety, mobility, sustainability, and quality-of-life along Burnet Road from Koenig Lane to MoPac.
Click on the links below to read the plan.
- North Lamar - Burnet Corridor Report (FULL REPORT) - (PDF, 7.5 MB)
- Executive Summary - (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Appendix A - Recommended Improvements (Cross Sections) - (PDF, 18.8 MB)
- Appendix B - Cost Estimates (PDF, 253 KB)
- Appendix C - Public Involvement Plan (PDF, 284 KB)
- Appendix D - Drainage Improvements (PDF, 219 KB)
- Appendix E - Traffic Counts (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Appendix F - Traffic Analysis (PDF, 327 KB)
The following outreach was conducted over the course of the Corridor Mobility Plan development process:
- Public meeting to introduce the planning process in September 2011 (64 participants)
- Second public meeting to review improvement ideas in January 2012 (62 participants)
- Stakeholder meetings with transportation and public agencies, major landowners, transportation advocates and interest groups
- Business open house hosted in October 2011
Click here to learn about outreach conducted since the plan was completed, during development of the Corridor Construction Program.
Throughout the planning process, members of the public often expressed the desire to facilitate more traffic on the road, while also improving bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure and safety. The public identified sidewalk improvements, better bicycle connectivity, and improved transit operations as the top priorities for the Burnet Road corridor.