Alexander Avenue, Clarkson Avenue and East 34th Street
Austin Transportation (ATD) evaluated E 34th Street, Clarkson Avenue, and Alexander Avenue from E 17th Street to Cherrywood Road for changes to enhance the safety and mobility of everyone who uses these streets.
Project Update: Summer 2021
Crews will install new markings on Clarkson Avenue between Cherrywood Road and Randolph Road, a new crossing island on Cherrywood Road at East 34th Street and a new crossing island at Alexander Avenue and Manor Road in the coming weeks. View the June 2021 stakeholder email update.
Construction began in Fall 2020 and the project is being built in phases. Changes already on the ground include:
- A new shared use path on East 34th Street and Clarkson Avenue between Cherrywood Road and Randolph Road
- A two-way protected bikeway and shorter pedestrian crossings on Alexander Avenue
- An upgraded connection to Boggy Creek Trail at MLK Station
- New bicycle and pedestrian ramps at MLK Jr. Boulevard and Alexander Avenue
- New left turn bays at MLK Jr. Boulevard and Chicon Street
Project Update: October 2020
Parking changes are coming late this month to Alexander Avenue between Manor Road and E 17th Street. This street space will be used for a new two-way protected bikeway and shorter pedestrian crossings. Installation of new “No Parking” signs is scheduled to begin in late October in the areas indicated on the map.
Project Update: September 2019
After reviewing all feedback received during the public comment period, ATD is moving forward with implementation of safety and mobility improvements for everyone who uses these streets. Implementation begin in September 2019 and is continuing in 2020.
In response to community feedback, updates were made to the project design following the February 2019 open house, including:
- A reconfiguration of the
intersection at Alexander Avenue and MLK Jr. Boulevard to allow for a
two-way bikeway crossing
- New curb ramps along the
planned Clarkson Avenue shared use path, connecting to Hemlock
Avenue, Larry Lane, and Merrie Lynn Avenue
- Additional sidewalks on
Alexander Avenue in coordination with upcoming development in the area
- Additional crosswalks and curb
ramps at E 22nd Street, across Alexander Avenue
Project Background and Goals
ATD proposed changes to provide an all ages and abilities bikeway, improved walkways, and crossings, as recommended in the Austin Bicycle Plan, the Sidewalk Plan, and Pedestrian Safety Action Plan. This proposal offers a safe, comfortable option to walk, bicycle, or roll to many neighborhood destinations, including Campbell Elementary, Acton Academy, MLK Station, Sustainable Food Center community garden, and places of worship. This project connects to soon-to-be completed urban trails that would allow people to take protected bicycle lanes and shared use paths to the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail at Lady Bird Lake.
The proposed changes are expected to encourage slower motor vehicle speeds and improve predictability between different users by dedicating space to walking and biking. This project is a part of the planned Red Line Trail.
- Cherrywood Road and E 34th Street: A flexpost crossing island, requiring some minor parking restrictions on the west side of Cherrywood Road at the intersection.
- Clarkson Avenue and E 34th Street (Cherrywood Road to Randolph Road): Extension of the existing Red Line Trail through the Elan East Apartments north to Cherrywood Road via a shared use path adjacent to the railroad tracks. Parking would be removed on the east side of the street, with the exception of several parking pockets near residences that would retain their existing use. This segment would also include a neighborhood bikeway, which includes new signage and markings integrated with existing speed cushions.
- Alexander Avenue and Manor Road: High-visibility crosswalk, shorter crossing distance for bicyclists and pedestrians, and improved signage.
- Alexander Avenue (Manor Road to MLK Jr. Boulevard): A two-way protected bikeway. Parking would be removed on the east side of the street. Parking would remain on the west side, except for minor restrictions at the intersections.
- Alexander Avenue (East 17th Street to MLK Jr. Boulevard): A relocated bicycle facility to a raised two-way protected bikeway on the east side of the street, connecting to the Upper Boggy Creek Trail at MLK Station. Conversion of the existing painted bicycle lanes to on-street parking on both sides of the street, adding about 20 parking spaces.
Proposed Parking Changes
- Clarkson Avenue and E 34th Street (Cherrywood Road to Randolph Road): Parking would be removed on the east side of the street, with the exception of several parking pockets near residences that would retain their existing use.
- Alexander Avenue (Manor Road to MLK Jr. Boulevard): Parking would be removed on the east side of the street. Parking would remain on the west side, except for minor restrictions at the intersections.
- Alexander Avenue (East 17th Street to MLK Jr. Boulevard): Conversion of the existing painted bicycle lanes to on-street parking on both sides of the street, adding about 20 parking spaces.
For questions about the project, email the 2016 Mobility Bond team.
For media inquiries, call 512-974-8000.
Provide your email below to stay up-to-date on this project.