The Austin Transportation Department (ATD) is making improvements to Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to South Congress Avenue to enhance the safety and mobility of everyone who uses these streets. Stassney Lane provides access to the ACC South Austin Campus, Crockett High School, Garrison Park, many businesses, and neighborhoods of South Austin.
Para obtener más información en español, repasar la notificación.
September 2021 Update
New bus stops, intersection improvements coming this fall along Stassney Lane
The project team is preparing to break ground on multimodal improvements to Stassney Lane at Lewood Drive, Buffalo Pass, Emerald Forest Drive, South First Street and South Congress Avenue. These changes are part of a three phase implementation plan formed from community feedback gathered in 2019. This phase aims to encourage multimodal transportation options by increasing access to transit and improving pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure, as well as reducing crashes for all transportation modes. Read the full September 2021 update here.
View the planned changes for Stassney intersections:
Construction is expected to begin in October 2021 and take about 3 months to complete. All work is dependent on weather and any other unanticipated delays. The COVID-19 pandemic is being monitored every day and construction schedules may be impacted.
Following an initial evaluation of the western segment of Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Menchaca Road in 2016, ATD has since expanded the scope of this project to address multimodal improvements along Stassney Lane east to Congress Avenue. The proposed changes were identified from recommendations in the Austin Bicycle Plan, Safe Routes to School Infrastructure Reports, and the Austin Strategic Mobility Plan. The proposed changes are expected to:
- Improve predictability and safety for everyone using the street by providing protected space for people bicycling
- Reduce crashes for all modes
- Encourage slower motor vehicle speeds and reduce high-risk speeding
- Improve access to transit, including providing more options for connecting to high-frequency bus routes with a short bicycle ride rather than a longer walk or multiple bus transfers
- Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Menchaca Road is currently two travel lanes in each direction with no bicycle lanes; the proposal reconfigures the road to one travel lane in each direction with protected bicycle lanes, maintaining the roadway median divided with left turn pockets
- Upgrade existing buffered bicycle lanes with physical protection on Stassney Lane from Menchaca Road to South Congress Avenue
- Modify median at Emerald Forest Drive on the east leg to provide space for crosswalk
- Signal improvements at West Gate Boulevard/Stassney Lane and Menchaca Road/Stassney Lane
- Consolidate bus stops and add new bicycle and scooter parking near bus stops
May 2021 Update: Installation of Stassney Lane Phase I begins in June
Para obtener más información en español, vea este correo electrónico en su navegador y haga clic en la esquina superior derecha para la traducción al español.
The project team is preparing to begin installation of multimodal improvements on Stassney Lane between West Gate Boulevard and South Congress Avenue. These changes were informed by community feedback gathered in 2019. Construction of the project will take place in three major phases. Phase one is anticipated to begin in June. Read the full May 2021 update here.
December 2020 Update
The project team completed an evaluation of Stassney Lane between Westgate Boulevard and Congress Avenue to improve the safety and mobility for everyone who uses these streets and updated the design and moved it into the implementation phase.
Initial Public Outreach
The comment period for this project closed on Sunday, January 19, 2020.
Austin Transportation wants to hear from people who live, work, and travel on Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Congress Avenue.
Provide your email below to stay up-to-date on this project.