The Austin Transportation Department (ATD) is evaluating Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to South Congress Avenue for changes to enhance the safety and mobility of everyone who uses these streets. Stassney Lane provides access to the ACC South Austin Campus, Crockett High School, Garrison Park, many businesses, and neighborhoods of South Austin.
Funding for these changes has been identified from the 2016 Mobility Bond Bikeways and Safe Routes to School programs, and Capital Metro.
Para obtener más información en español, repasar la notificación.
December 2020 Update
Thank you to everyone who has participated so far in the public process. The project team has completed an evaluation of Stassney Lane between Westgate Boulevard and Congress Avenue to improve the safety and mobility for everyone who uses these streets. After reviewing feedback from the community on an initial proposal, we've updated the design and moved it into the implementation phase.
The comment period for this project closed on Sunday, January 19, 2020.
Following an initial evaluation of the western segment of Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Menchaca Road in 2016, ATD has since expanded the scope of this project to address multimodal improvements along Stassney Lane east to Congress Avenue. The proposed changes were identified from recommendations in the Austin Bicycle Plan, Safe Routes to School Infrastructure Reports, and the Austin Strategic Mobility Plan. The proposed changes are expected to:
- Improve predictability and safety for everyone using the street by providing protected space for people bicycling
- Reduce crashes for all modes
- Encourage slower motor vehicle speeds and reduce high-risk speeding
- Improve access to transit, including providing more options for connecting to high-frequency bus routes with a short bicycle ride rather than a longer walk or multiple bus transfers
- Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Menchaca Road is currently two travel lanes in each direction with no bicycle lanes; the proposal reconfigures the road to one travel lane in each direction with protected bicycle lanes, maintaining the roadway median divided with left turn pockets
- Upgrade existing buffered bicycle lanes with physical protection on Stassney Lane from Menchaca Road to South Congress Avenue
- Modify median at Emerald Forest Drive on the east leg to provide space for crosswalk
- Signal improvements at West Gate Boulevard/Stassney Lane and Menchaca Road/Stassney Lane
- Consolidate bus stops and add new bicycle and scooter parking near bus stops
Austin Transportation wants to hear from people who live, work, and travel on Stassney Lane from West Gate Boulevard to Congress Avenue.
Email Emily Tuttle or call 512-974-6509.
Provide your email below to stay up-to-date on this project.