Percentage of residents who feel that Austin is a place that honors and preserves my personal heritage
According to the annual community survey over 40% of respondents feel that Austin is place that honors and preserves their historical heritage. This question was added to the survey in 2018. City efforts to honor and preserve our community's personal heritage take place through various City programs and facilities such as the African American Cultural and Heritage Facility, Asian American Resource Center, Mexican American Cultural Center, and library archiving and preservation services.
This measure trended down slightly between the 2018 and 2019 surveys. To improve community satisfaction with this measure, the Parks and Recreation Department and Austin Public Library have multiple initiatives underway or planned. The Parks and Recreation Department will continue providing a variety of activities at its museums, cultural programs sites, and other parkland to engage participants in the exploration of world cultures and history. In addition, the department has established an internal goal to better contribute to the Culture and Lifelong Learning strategic outcome by strengthening its portfolio of programs, events, and facilities; engaging and building trust with the community; ensuring equitable access and participation; and ensuring that services are aligned with community expectations.
The Austin Public Library has received resources to increase digital archives and preservation of oral histories of local Austin residents. In addition, the renovation of the Faulk building will allow the Austin History Center to expand its archives and collection. Last, the Austin History Center's Community Archivists are conducting outreach activities in partnership with Quality of Life Commissions.
Note: To see the underlying data for the chart above, please select the "View Source Data" link.
Additional Measure Insights
Every year, the City of Austin administers a community survey to assess citywide satisfaction with the delivery of major city services and to determine community priorities as part of the City's ongoing planning process.
The dashboard below is live and dynamic. Use the filters below to review this measure and other survey questions by demographics and geography.
Measure Details and Definition
1) Definition: This is a measure of how well Austin preserves its residents heritage and culture.
2) Calculation method: This measure was calculated by the following formula: The number of respondents who answered 4 or 5 divided by the total number of responses.
3) Data Collection Process: This is a question administered on the annual community survey managed by a third party vendor, ETC Institute, on behalf of the City of Austin
4) Measure Target Calculation: The target was calculated based on prior satisfaction ratings and the various initiatives planned by City departments to improve satisfaction levels.
5) Frequency Measure is Reported: Annually (Calendar Year)
Date page was last updated: July 2020