46th-47th Streets and Bennett-Middle Fiskville Neighborhood Bikeways
Austin Transportation is evaluating streets in the Triangle State, Hyde Park, Hancock and North Loop neighborhoods as a potential neighborhood bikeway route.
- This bikeway would help connect the All Ages and Abilities Bicycle Network between Sunshine Drive, E Koenig Lane, IH-35 and E 43rd Street.
October 2020 Update
proposed protected walking lane on the north side of W 46th Street
between Avenue A and Speedway, requiring parking restrictions on the
north side of the street.
- Proposed sidewalks on the west side of Speedway between 45th and 46th streets.
- A proposed median crossing island on Duval Street at E 47th Street, making the crossing safer for pedestrians and cyclists by removing left-turn conflicts with motor vehicles.
- A proposed all-way stop at E 47th Street and Avenue G.
August 2020 Update
The project team has received and reviewed over 100 individual survey responses. Over 70% of survey respondents supported the proposed improvements. Survey respondents also expressed support for:
- Lowering motor vehicle speeds along the bikeway route to 20-25 mph by installing speed reduction devices such as speed humps or speed cushions.
- Both proposed options (Caswell Avenue and Clarkson Avenue) for the routing of a north-south connection between Middle Fiskville Road and E 46th Street.
- Improved pedestrian facilities along the route.
- Safety improvements for intersections and crossings.
Fall 2019: Project Open House and Survey
The project team shared a preliminary design for the proposed neighborhood bikeway route at a community open house on November 12, 2019. A project survey was available at the open house and online through December 15, 2019.
Key features of the preliminary design included:
- New pavement markings ("sharrows") to alert people driving to expect people bicycling.
- New wayfinding signs to guide people riding bicycles to local and regional destinations.
- New and modified speed reduction devices (e.g., speed humps or speed cushions) to achieve lower speeds (20-25 mph)
- Improvements to major street crossings for people walking or riding bicycles.
- New sidewalks on E 46th Street (Red River Street to Airport Boulevard) and Bennett Avenue (43rd Street to 46th Street).
August 13, 2020: Review Survey Results for 46th-47th Streets and Bennett-Middle Fiskville Neighborhood Bikeways
November 18, 2019: Review 46th-47th Streets and Bennett-Middle Fiskville Neighborhood Bikeways Open House Materials Online