46th-47th Streets and Bennett-Middle Fiskville Neighborhood Bikeways
The City of Austin is making changes in the Triangle State, Hyde Park, Hancock and North Loop neighborhoods as a neighborhood bikeway route.
- This bikeway will help connect the All Ages and Abilities Bicycle Network between Sunshine Drive, E Koenig Lane, IH-35 and E 43rd Street.
October 2023 Update: Phase 2 Construction Begins
Construction on Phase 2 of the project will begin later this spring and will include:
- New pedestrian and bicycle crossing islands on Duval Street at the East 47th Street intersection.
- Installation of a short sidewalk segment on the north curb of East 46th Street between Avenue A and Avenue B.
- Installation of neighborhood bikeway treatments on 46th Street, East 47th Street (east of Evans Avenue only), Red River Street, Bennett Avenue, East 43rd Street, Clarkson Avenue, Caswell Avenue, and Middle Fiskville Road.
- Several segments of the neighborhood bikeway route will be completed following active utility work in the area. This includes segments of Speedway (between 46th Street and 45th Street), Avenue F (between East 46th Street and East 47th Street), and East 47th Street (between Avenue F and Evans Avenue). However, as part of Phase 2, temporary neighborhood bikeway wayfinding signs will be installed to communicate each turn along the preferred neighborhood bikeway route.
For a complete description of planned work in Phase 2 and links to photos from phase 1, read the construction update sent to stakeholders here.
October 2021 Update: Construction begins
Construction of the project will occur in four phases between 2021 and 2024. Austin Transportation will begin construction this month on Phase 1 improvements to include:
- A new Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon (PHB) at 45th Street and Bennett Avenue.
- A new protected bikeway crossing with a Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon at the intersection of W. 46th Street, Lamar Boulevard and Sunshine Drive.
Future phases will include a crossing of IH-35 at Wilshire Boulevard to 43rd Street, an in-street protected walking lane on the north side of W 46th Street (beginning at Avenue A) from Speedway to Avenue H as well as speed management devices, markings, and wayfinding along W. 46th, E. 46th, E. 47th, Bennett Ave, E. 43rd, Clarkson Ave, Caswell Ave, and Middle Fiskville Road.
February 2021 Update
After two rounds of community feedback, ATD has finalized the project design. Implementation of the project will occur in phases beginning this spring. Recent updates to the design include:
- An extension
of the in-street protected walking lane on the north side of W 46th
Street (beginning at Avenue A) from Speedway to Avenue H.
- An updated crossing island design at 47th Street and Duval Street. Four curb extensions, two crosswalks, two pedestrian crossing islands and
a painted bicycle priority crossing will be installed at the
intersection. The new revised design allows for through and left-turning
motor vehicle movements in all directions. The crossing island design
will first be installed using flexible posts and later be built in
View the final design for Middle Fiskville Road, Clarkson Avenue, Caswell Avenue, E 46th Street, Bennett Avenue and E 43rd Street.
Fall 2019: Project Open House and Survey
The project team shared a preliminary design for the proposed neighborhood bikeway route at a community open house on November 12, 2019. A project survey was available at the open house and online through December 15, 2019.
Key features of the preliminary design included:
- New pavement markings ("sharrows") to alert people driving to expect people bicycling.
- New wayfinding signs to guide people riding bicycles to local and regional destinations.
- New and modified speed reduction devices (e.g., speed humps or speed cushions) to achieve lower speeds (20-25 mph)
- Improvements to major street crossings for people walking or riding bicycles.
- New sidewalks on E 46th Street (Red River Street to Airport Boulevard) and Bennett Avenue (43rd Street to 46th Street).
Provide your email address below:
Proporcione su dirección de correo electrónico:
August 13, 2020: Review Survey Results for 46th-47th Streets and Bennett-Middle Fiskville Neighborhood Bikeways
November 18, 2019: Review 46th-47th Streets and Bennett-Middle Fiskville Neighborhood Bikeways Open House Materials Online